Getting Started - PhantomJS or SlimerJS
Start by signing up and creating a new test case using the New Test Case button on the dashboard or Test Case -> New... in the left side panel.
Enter the test case name (e.g. PhantomJS Demo) and press Next.
Select PhantomJS Script as the Scenario type.
For the Script Type select PhantomJS script. Testable gives you 3 options on how to define your PhantomJS scenario:
- Open URL: Simply specify a URL to open and Testable will generate the required PhantomJS script.
- PhantomJS script: Provide the PhantomJS script to execute.
Note that any files you upload to your scenario are accessible from the same directory from which your test runs. So for example, if you upload index.html, you can put page.open('index.html') in your PhantomJS script.
In our case we will use the handy templates to insert our required code quickly: Basic -> Open URL.
Click the Smoke Test button in the upper right to run your test plan with 1 thread and 1 iteration on a Testable test runner. The output of the run will show up in the Smoke Test Output once it finishes.
And that's it, we've now defined our scenario! Click on the Configuration tab or press the Next button at the bottom to move to the next step.
Now that we have the scenario for our test case we need to define a few parameters before we can execute our test:
- Load Profile: Select Flat to ramp up to a constant number of concurrent users for the test.
- Concurrent Clients Per Region: Number of clients that will execute your PhantomJS script in parallel in each region selected. Each concurrent client will run the phantomjs binary.
- Test Runners: Choose the test runners from which to run this test (e.g. on our public shared grid). Each test runner region will simulate the number of concurrent clients defined above.
- Type: Select Iterations to have each concurrent client execute the PhantomJS script sequentially a set number of times regardless of how long it takes. Choose Duration if you want each client to continue executing the script for a set amount of time (in minutes).
And that's it! Press Start Test and watch the results start to flow in. See the new configuration guide for full details of all configuration options.
For the sake of this example, let's use the following parameters:
Once the test starts executing, Testable will distribute the work out to the selected test runners (e.g. Public Shared Grid in
AWS N. Virginia).
In each region, the Testable runners execute the PhantomJS script with 5 concurrent clients for 1 minute.
Below the resource result grid you can see various graphs. If you click on any resource in the grid, the charts below will update to be specific to that resource only.
Check out the PhantomJS guide for more details on running your PhantomJS or SlimerJS tests on the Testable platform.
We also offer integration (Settings -> Integration) with third party tools like New Relic. If you enable integration you can do more in depth analytics on your results there as well.
That's it! Go ahead and try these same steps with your favorite website or API and feel free to contact us with any questions.